Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I drink my coffee and hide

There is battle I fight every morning between coffee and farm. Let's not kid ourselves, the farm always wins. When I wake up in the morning I sneak downstairs and try to start the coffee maker before the animals know I'm awake. They look in the windows! If I peak out the upstairs window I get the stink eye from a goat. And in the morning if they hear anything inside the house they all start howling. The ducks are the worst. They quack and chirp all morning anyways, but they get crazy if they see movement in the window. When I didn't have the porch blocked off they would wait at the back door. And before we put up the goat fence the goats would rake the door with their hooves and it sounded like a human was knocking to come in. They also used to stand up in the window and beg for kitchen scraps.
So in the morning I sneak into the kitchen trying to hide from the animals to make coffee before I start my chores outside. Because once I'm outside I can't just do it half way. If I just feed the ducks the goats will yell, or if I feed just the ducks and goats the chickens will scream. And once I go through all that it'd just be mean to not feed the rabbits because they Can't speak. That's a lot to do at 6:30 in the morning without coffee. It takes a good 45 minutes to get everyone taken care of with food, fresh water, hay, veggies, pregnancy supplements for the goats, frozen water bottles for the bunnies. I love to do it all, but I'd love it more if they'd let me have coffee first...

No comments:

Post a Comment