Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby explosion!


Every time I call my mom and tell her there is a new addition to our farm, her immediate response is, "ok, i'll prepare a place in my barn to put them in." She said it about the chickens, the goats, the rabbits, and newest of all, the ducks. She is under the impression urban farming is ridiculous. Well the jokes on her!! We are not only successful, we are actually developing a small following in the community. Ok, so I know people are interested because they think we're eccentric with livestock in the backyard, but maybe it's more than that...
The latest deliveries to the homestead this week are baby Rouens, and six wrinkly rabbit babies. The ducks were planned, the rabbits on the other hand were a complete accident. I didnt think they were old enough to mate because I never saw any action, not even once! I'm almost inclined to believe it was immaculate. In any event we have baby bunnies, and I do love a good surprise.
The ducks are hangin in their tupperware bin making my house smell like a pond from the wet hay and duck poo. We wont be having company until those critters go outside, how embarrassing. Story of my life. I was kind of surprised when I received the package because they were chirping like chicks, so I peaked through the holes in the box to make sure they were actual ducks, which they were, thank goodness. I guess I expected little quacking noises or something I perceived as duck-like.
Next on the farming agenda is preparing for the goat babies in late July/early august. That includes building a lean-to on the side of the goat shed, cleaning and disinfecting the shed, practicing my goat delivering skills, and stocking up on supplies. I'm pretty sure both of the ladies are pregnant, but you can never be sure until the last minute. I have 150 days counted out on the calendar, and a week before and two weeks after just incase. If they are preggers, they should deliver by 160 days. So we'll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment