Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mailmen have loose lips


The first shipment of chicks two years ago was the tipping point. I swear chickens are a gateway animal to full blown farm. At first its like, ok, we could handle three chickens. Then they send more to keep the three warm, or they send an extra runt or two, and you cant give them back. Then a swarm of opossums wipes out your backyard herd and before you know it you've replaced those three chickens with 15 chicken, just incase a opossum attacks again. Then you're like, well no one seems to mind the poultry, why not some rabbits, you need manure for the garden and its hard to collect the chicken poo anyways. Then goats seem like the next natural progression, and they're so quiet that you're like, heck a couple ducks wouldnt hurt anything. They'll eat all the waste the rabbits and the goats dont want. But you cant just get three or five because of the opossum problem, you need insurance ducks just incase. But the opossum never comes back because of all the goat urine. So at the end of all this hoarding and planning, you end up with livestock in every corner of the backyard of your house in the middle of the ghetto. So my point is, the mailman sees a lot of crazy around here. And after all that, the bees are what makes him talk, the one LEGAL thing of this whole homestead is what provokes him to break his silence.
I was walking home from work and I hear someone honking at me, so I turn to be angry with them and look who it is, the mailman. He yells from across the street from his truck because he cant contain his excitement long enough for me to cross the street. He yells, "WHATS NEXT? A KANGAROO?!?!" He wasnt angry or anything, he just thought it was funny. Then he goes on to say how when he dropped off the bees to our neighbor he told him about the duck delivery. And I was like, oh crap, we are FOR REAL those crazy neighbors that you tell stories about to get a laugh. Like, "my neighbors are so crazy that..." Oh well, it cant be helped now.
Then the mailman goes on to blackmail me for honey at Christmas and eggs at his beck and call. Ugh, thank goodness I have insurance chickens for the extra eggs I'll need to pay off the mailman.

1 comment: